Definition of veil
- veil Noun Something hung up, or spread out, to intercept the view, and hide an object; a cover; a curtain; esp., a screen, usually of gauze, crape, or similar diaphanous material, to hide or protect the face.
- veil Noun A cover; disguise; a mask; a pretense.
- veil Noun The calyptra of mosses.
- veil Noun A membrane connecting the margin of the pileus of a mushroom with the stalk; -- called also velum.
- veil Noun A covering for a person or thing; as, a caul; a nun's veil; a paten veil; an altar veil; a Moslem veil.
- veil Noun Same as velum, 4.
- veil Noun A thin layer of tissue which is attached to or covers a mushroom.
- veil Verb To don, or garb with, a veil.
- veil Verb To conceal as with a veil.