Definition of catharsis
- catharsis Noun A release of emotional tension after an overwhelming vicarious experience, resulting in the purging or purification of the emotions, as through watching a dramatic production (especially a tragedy). Coined in this sense by Aristotle.
- catharsis Noun Any release of emotional tension to the same effect, more widely.
- catharsis Noun A purification or cleansing, especially emotional.
- catharsis Noun A therapeutic technique to relieve tension.
- catharsis Noun Purging of the digestive system.