Definition of Tory
- Tory Noun A member or supporter of the British Conservative Party, which evolved from Royalist politicians; associated with upholding the rights of the monarchy and the privileges of the established Church.
- Tory Noun One who is like a British Tory; someone politically conservative.
- Tory Noun A member or supporter of the Conservative Party of Canada or one of that party's predecessors.
- Tory Noun A pejorative nickname given to the political factions who sought to exclude James, Duke of York from the throne of England (the Exclusioners) in the 17th century.
- Tory Noun A pejorative term for an Irish rebel fighting against English rule at the end of the Confederate War and Cromwellian invasion; later extended to other rebels or bandits.
- Tory Noun A loyal British citizen.
- Tory Noun A Union sympathizer.
- Tory Adjective Of or belonging to the Tory Party or the Conservative Party.
- Tory Adjective Of or belonging to the Conservative Party of Canada or one of that party's predecessors.