Definition of John
- John Proper noun very popular since the Middle Ages.
- John Proper noun Two persons of great importance to early Christianity: John the Baptist and John the Apostle, identified with John the Evangelist.
- John Proper noun The Gospel of St. John, a book of the New Testament of the Bible. Traditionally the fourth of the four gospels.
- John Proper noun One of the books in the New Testament of the Bible, the epistles of John (1 John, 2 John and 3 John).
- John Proper noun Used frequently to form an idea personified John Bull, John Barleycorn (see derivations below).
- John Proper noun A name used to address a man whose actual name is not known: John Doe.