Definition of Gothic
- Gothic Proper noun an extinct language, once spoken by the Goths
- Gothic Adjective of or relating to the Goths.
- Gothic Adjective barbarous, rude, unpolished, belonging to the "Dark Ages", medieval as opposed to classical.
- Gothic Adjective of or relating to the architectural style favored in western Europe in the 12th to 16th centuries.
- Gothic Adjective of or relating to the style of fictional writing associated with the Gothic revival, emphasizing violent or macabre events in a mysterious, desolate setting.
- Gothic Adjective in England, of the name of type formerly used to print German, also known as "black letter".
- Gothic Adjective in the USA, of a sans serif typeface using straight, even-width lines, also called grotesque
- Gothic Adjective of or relating to the goth subculture or lifestyle.
- Gothic Noun A novel written in the Gothic style.